A couple of weeks ago, I shared some of the many ways God speaks to us from the book titled Your Miraculous Potential by Wayne Chaney, Jr. In the book, Pastor Chaney gives us not only ways to identify how God speaks to us but he also outlines the ways in which we can move with clarity and confidence on hearing from Him as well. Today, I’m going to share those with you.
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” John 10:27-28 (KJV)
Hearing The Voice of God
There are 4 filters we can use to help us narrow and affirm the Word of God.
- The Bible – First, if it doesn’t line up with the Word of God, then it isn’t God. Ask yourself, if what you’re hearing lines up with the biblical framework that you “should be” reading daily.
- Joshua 1:8 (KJV), 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. So simple yet so many of us agonize over things that do not line up with the Word.
- The Character of God – If you’re not meditating day and night there is no way you could know the Word much less the character of God. This presents a huge stumbling block as you are looking for clarity about what you’re hearing. We must be knowledgable in the word to further filter and not be manipulated by the misquoting of God’s Word and understanding of his character.
- The Holy Spirit – As I’m writing this right now, the Holy Spirit says to think of these filters like sorting through your email. We all have developed a quick way to sort through the numerous emails we get daily. We can immediately sort out all of the promotions and numerous social media notifications. Now were down to the ones that matter but not before we delete any names we don’t recognize or don’t care to respond to. See how that works…it is the same with theses 4 filters.
- The Glorification Test – I love this one! There is no way the enemy is going to encourage you to do something that gives God the glory, its as simple as that. Who will get the glory?
There you have it, the 4 filters to use to bring clarity and narrow and affirm the Word of God. Lastly, I would encourage you to read the book because its a great book!
May Your Steps Fulfill Their Purpose.