In the book, Your Miraculous Potential by Wayne Chaney, Jr. he does an amazing job giving guidance on the many ways God speaks to us. I want to share those with you and encourage you to read the book for yourself.
If you are going to rise to your miraculous potential you must constantly be building and strengthening your knowledge of God, His Will and His Ways. Guidance such as this can really help you grow and give you clarity as you journey in purpose.
How God Speaks
If we desire to know God more intimately we need to understand the many ways in which He communicates. It’s important that we as Believers have confidence when we experience an encounter from God.
Pastor Chaney provides great insight on each of the ways God speaks to us. Again, I encourage you to read the book for the details of what I’ve outlined below.
- The Bible – This should be our standard for soundness and everything we hear from God should line up with His Word.
- The “Still, Small Voice” of the Holy Spirit – The prompting of the Holy Spirit that dwells within us and through the preaching of the Word of God are ways God speaks to us.
- God Speaks Through Peace – God can use peace or a lack of peace as a way to communicate with us. At his prompting we can have an ease about a particular situation or we can have great discomfort; either way understanding and experiencing God through peace is a form of communication with Him.
- Dreams and Visions – A God-given dream has significant meaning given while we are asleep while a God-given vision comes into our mind or our thoughts while we are still awake.
- Pictures – Through God-given pictures revelations are revealed to us in a still form verses in a vision we see revelation in a moving form.
- Dominant Thoughts – God-given thoughts can feel very similar to a picture or vision but they are more revealing in ideas.
- Equipping Ministries – We are all called by God but we each have a different role to play in Kingdom building. God uses His equipping ministers and their verbal expression to reveal His purpose and plans for His people. “There is a dimension of God’s will for your life that will never be disclosed until you learn to hear and receive what He speaks to you through others?” (Your Miraculous Potential, page 140)
- Prophetic Words – The gift of prophecy is a form of communication that should be used to build up the body of Christ Jesus and help guide us towards our purpose.
- Open and Closed Doors – I know we’ve all experienced this one. God can override our own personal desires by closing a door and expose His purpose and desires for us by opening something totally unexpected.
God speaks to us in so many different ways. If you think about it; you’ve probable experienced several of these and didn’t realize it was God guiding you. Now that you know and, by reading the book, better understand His prompting and His desire to communicate with you; it will open your heart, mind and Spirit to be ready to speak with God.
May Your Steps Fulfill Their Purpose.
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” John 10:27-28 (KJV)