Over the past 3 months, I’ve been sharing from a book I read over the holidays titled Your Miraculous Potential by Wayne Chaney, Jr. The books gives great guidance on the many ways God speaks, confirming the voice of God and the today’s topic responding to the voice of God.
How God Speaks
If we desire to know God more intimately we need to understand the many ways in which He communicates. It’s important that we as Believers have confidence when we experience an encounter from God.
- The Bible – This should be our standard for soundness and everything we hear from God should line up with His Word.
- The “Still, Small Voice” of the Holy Spirit – The prompting of the Holy Spirit that dwells within us and through the preaching of the Word of God are ways God speaks to us.
- God Speaks Through Peace – God can use peace or a lack of peace as a way to communicate with us. At his prompting we can have an ease about a particular situation or we can have great discomfort; either way understanding and experiencing God through peace is a form of communication with Him.
- Dreams and Visions – A God-given dream has significant meaning given while we are asleep while a God-given vision comes into our mind or our thoughts while we are still awake.
- Pictures – Through God – given pictures revelations are revealed to us in a still form verses in a vision we see revelation in a moving form.
- Dominant Thoughts – God-given thoughts can feel very similar to a picture or vision but they are more revealing in ideas.
- Equipping Ministries – We are all called by God but we each have a different role to play in Kingdom building. God uses His equipping ministers and their verbal expression to reveal His purpose and plans for His people. “There is a dimension of God’s will for your life that will never be disclosed until you learn to hear and receive what He speaks to you through others?” (Your Miraculous Potential, page 140)
- Prophetic Words – The gift of prophecy is a form of communication that should be used to build up the body of Christ Jesus and help guide us towards our purpose.
- Open and Closed Doors – I know we’ve all experienced this one. God can override our own personal desires by closing a door and expose His purpose and desires for us by opening something totally unexpected.
God speaks to us in so many different ways. If you think about it; you’ve probable experienced several of these and didn’t realize it was God guiding you. Now that you know and better understand His prompting and His desire to communicate with you; it will open your heart, mind and Spirit to be ready to speak with God.
Confirming the Voice of God
There are 4 filters we can use to help us narrow and affirm the Word of God.
- The Bible – First, if it doesn’t line up with the Word of God, then it isn’t God. Ask yourself, if what you’re hearing lines up with the biblical framework that you “should be” reading daily.
Joshua 1:8 (KJV), 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. So simple yet so many of us agonize over things that do not line up with the Word.
- The Character of God – If you’re not meditating day and night there is no way you could know the Word much less the character of God. This presents a huge stumbling block as you are looking for clarity about what you’re hearing. We must be knowledgable in the word to further filter and not be manipulated by the misquoting of God’s Word and understanding of his character.
- The Holy Spirit – As I’m writing this right now, the Holy Spirit says to think of these filters like sorting through your email. We all have developed a quick way to sort through the numerous emails we get daily. We can immediately sort out all of the promotions and numerous social media notifications. Now were down to the ones that matter but not before we delete any names we don’t recognize or don’t care to respond to. See how that works…it is the same with theses 4 filters.
- The Glorification Test – I love this one! There is no way the enemy is going to encourage you to do something that gives God the glory, it’s as simple as that. Who will get the glory?
Responding To The Voice of God
Now that we know how God speaks, how to confirm His voice, we now need to know how to respond.
Chaney poses the question, ” what is our ultimate aim or goal as we seek to listen to the Father and respond to Him? That’s a great question. One I would have never considered before and his answer is even better. He believes our goal should be to “conform to the image of Jesus and to model our relationship with God based on His interactions with the Father in every area of our lives.”
We need to spend more time focused on having the same responsiveness that Jesus had so we can clearly hear and obey the will of God the Father. Instead of being focused on “how” God is going to do the miraculous, we should be focused on our obedience and our responsiveness.
As an employee, I was never focused on whether or not an employer actually had the money to pay me. I never asked them for a bank statement or proof of funds before I went to work. I was excited to be hired by someone that I had no idea whether or not they could actually deliver what they promised. Shouldn’t it be that way with us and God.
We need to show up every day eager to do what God has for us and not worry about His resources. He is The Most High God, all of the resources in the world are His to do as He pleases.
We need to learn how to remove the barriers that would prevent us from responding to God once we’ve heard His voice. I think we can all attest to that. How many times do we “sit” on what God has directed us to do? Chaney says “having the ability to hear without the capacity or willingness to respond is like owning a home that is wired for electricity but lacks the proper electrical outlets to access it.” I had to laugh at that example because it’s pretty visual. We must be willing and open to discovering the challenges that stop us from responding to God’s direction for our life.
As God directs us on earth, as it is in heaven, He is speaking from a place of eternity and timelessness. There are no boundaries in heaven. But as we live our lives here on earth we are challenged by the boundaries and obstacles we experience in the natural limited bodies where we dwell.
To ensure we respond immediately to His guidance for our lives we must constantly deal with the obstacles that try to block His instructions like fear, doubt, failures, distractions, past disappointment and all of the other challenges that show up at the critical time of His instruction. These obstacles require we undergo a learning and maturing process to hear and respond to the voice of God.
I could go on and on because there is so much in this book to explore about our relationship with God. You cannot move in your miraculous potential until you understand the greatest fulfillment in life always comes from our obedience and our “immediate obedient response” to God the Father.
May Your Steps Fulfill Their Purpose